Old 02-17-18, 12:29 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 2,037 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
It's difficult to say this about a '67 Paramount--- but I approve!

'Tis better to be ridden and enjoyed, than to sit and gather dust!
I really wish I could change the title of the thread, as the bike is a '74, but since I was a complete novice at reading Paramount serial numbers--even after looking on the Waterford site and still read it incorrectly--I titled the thread as a '67 and here it has been. Perhaps an accidental benefit that got more eyeballs on the thread than a 'boom years' 1974 model, but that was not my intention! All the original pictures are gone somehow, too....

As a fully rescued and repaired bike, the slate was clean to restore it in any number of ways. As I got the frame without parts on it, I didn't want to sink $600-900 into paint and decals only to have it crack on the first ride. So I went with painting it myself, going for a hot rod/rat rod theme. Between that and the Suntour components, it's been a bit of a rebel build, albeit carefully crafted.

That rebel theme continues with this update. I again carefully chose components for their relevance and complementary nature (ie high polish, radiused corners) to the frame. The triple Ultegra crankset was a major piece. Sure, there are other cranksets, but they either needed to be classic Campy/Sugino Mighty or something newer that was properly polished. No soft pearl-y luster or painted silver parts allowed.

Thank you for your approval! I am well aware of the dividing line between '84/'85 and newer Paramounts, and ones older. Older ones get restored or kept original (Campagnolo largely) and newer ones either stay period-correct or get the resto-mod treatment. I would like to think the spirit of its 'touring' designation is kept, while it is now functionally far superior without losing any stateliness--it is still a big bike, but a big and fast one now.