Old 03-16-18, 07:28 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 380 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Did they prescribe you pain killers? Did they give you any opiates? If so, I encourage you to avoid taking them if possible. (We do a lot of work on opioid and heroin addiction here.)

My wife had surgery a few weeks ago, and I made her use only Advil.
I had my torus mandibularis removed about 2 years ago. They cut a flap inside the lower gum line and ground (not laser, mostly drill) out the bone growing in where my tongue lives. The healing was slow with exposed bone and it was semi-major, not-sure-I-should-have-done-it surgery. I seriously doubt my pain was that of a tooth nerve, as there are not a lot of nerves in bone - except on the way to the teeth. But still, it hurt.
Dr offered me some of that stuff with fancy brand names and laughed when I mentioned I was going to use a tested multi thousand year old pain killer - alcohol. I did take some ibuprofen to keep swelling down. We discussed the side effects of the two together, alcohol vs opioid addiction and he thought my solution was the better one "if you can endure the pain". As I said, it was not a tooth, I'm sure pain was less. I wonder how many non-drinkers would rather take an opiate than a couple shots of a spirit.