Old 03-22-18, 08:09 AM
astage

Bikes: Birdy Rohloff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about swap to Sport-stem

Forgive the question as a first post, but I recently bought myself a Birdy Rohloff, 2017 model, and am wondering if I made a mistake by ordering the 'comfort-stem'. The dealer recommended the comfort-stem because of my very long absence from bike-riding.
Although I'm enjoying the ride, the best fit I've managed is with the saddle pushed far back on the rails, the seat-post quite high, and handle-bar about mid-point on the height adjustment - just below saddle height. I therefore seem to be sitting too far back, and am finding that I can't ride out of the saddle - which makes the heart pounding steep hills real killers. If it helps, I'm 1.83m (6ft dead), 76.5kg, with long arms.
Q. If I order the adjustable sport-stem (21°) is this installable by me, or do I need the services of a bike shop? The nearest Birdy dealer is an hour away by car. I'm reasonably mechanically minded,and aware that it's an upside down headset arrangement - needed to correct the misaligned handlebar - but my bike experience is forty years' old.
Any suggestions appreciated.
When I've a few more km under my belt, I'll explain why the Birdy was chosen instead of the other 'B-word' .