View Single Post
Old 04-01-18, 01:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@TimothyH, how are you doing with this?
Thanks for asking Tom.

Overall, I'm down from 199 lb in mid-December and am now hovering between 170 and 171 lb on most days. Continued weight loss is a challenge and I'm not sure I want to loose more at this point. I've not been as scrupulous about diet as I had been and am just maintaining right now, allowing myself a treat after Mass on Sunday, a good Italian meal, etc.

The the point of this thread, casein protein has become a regular part of my diet. Right now I'm using Optimum Nutrition Vanilla but will go back to the unflavored Body Tech product when the current container is empty. I find the ON product too sweet tasting.

It is typically mixed with 12 oz Fair Life fat free milk and consumed after a ride. Occasionally I will have the same in the evening if I have been riding lots of miles and/or am feeling hunger pangs. It seems to help reduce carb cravings the next day. Much thanks to @Spoonrobot for this suggestion.

Average speed has increased a bit, typically 0.5 to 0.8 MPH and 1.5 MPH if I push hard on a given ride. The greatest measurable benefit has been Strava climbing segments. I've PR'd many of my favorite climbs recently. In general, riding is just so much more fun. Recovery is quicker and mileage has increased markedly. The weight loss is just what I needed to push training to the next level.

The downside is expensive gear which is starting to fit poorly. It can even be felt in my shoes. Further weight loss means I'll likely need new bibs and jerseys. A few ladies at Church have noticed too. At first they were like, "Oh, you are loosing weight!" and now they are like, "You are going to disappear!"

But yeah, overall it has been a very positive experience. I'd encourage anyone carrying a few extra pounds to buckle down. Leaving 30 lb at the bottom of a hill is a great feeling.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-01-18 at 02:09 PM.