View Single Post
Old 04-06-18, 09:25 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The problem with CAADs is all the weird things that Cannondale does to bikes which creates a love hate experience with riding a CAAD. Propitiatory bottom brackets are annoying on top of the list of things Cannondale does. As to the giant the TCR has had an amazing history, and I would like to go back in time and buy myself a Once team bike, but then you have to want to ride really aggressive geometry. I would own a new one if someone gave me one to ride, but they're not everybody's cup of tea.

I decided going down this path of why new bikes aren't worth the money they cost when I started to think about the depreciation. It's like setting your money on fire. I also decided I could buy a frame with fairly standard classic geometry without the headaches of BB30 bottom brackets and with a better groupset. My current steed owes me $400 on a DI2 conversion.

The thing is, I can do everything from tearing down a bike to building it up again from scratch, most people have to pay someone else to do it. I can even borrow the computer in a workshop to tune a DI2 groupset. Most people cannot. All is fair and well if you can't and you need to go to a bike shop to do that, but that's not me.

I got to a point where I thought about why building a new bike and came to the conclusion that anyone can walk Into a store with a blank cheque, write a number on it and stroll out with something awesome. However, their is a certain individuality in a custom built bike that captures most peoples imagination when they see you out riding it.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 04-06-18 at 09:37 PM.