View Single Post
Old 04-30-18, 03:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked 2,156 Times in 1,221 Posts
Curious what you mean by “thru a forest”.

Is it a mt. bike race on single track ?, a gravel/cross bike race on dirt roads ?.

Reason on I ask is I’ve not seen many generated course routes for single track riding, but have for gravel grinders.

One issue is with a mt. bike on single track route, how are the turns labled ?, is the ST named ?, and has somebody generated a GPS route for this particular course ?. I can’t think I’ve ever seen my local single tracks generated into a usable GPS navigation track.

Typically with on road navigation, and this includes dirt roads, the roads have names and that’s what you see on the Turn-by-turn course on the GPS screen.

A typical method for a lot of big group rides is to generate a course on RodeWithGPS, make that course shared, and you then download to a device. Garmin units can read these courses, so can the Wahoo units and those are a good option for ups as well.

If this were wooded single track, I’d use a Garmin with Topo maps installed, something a Wahoo can’t do.

As well. If wooded, I’d be adding a speed sensor as all GPS unit’s can have trouble getting signals in deep woods.

Last edited by Steve B.; 04-30-18 at 03:41 PM.