Old 05-30-18, 04:35 PM
muddyrock

Bikes: 2019 Trek X-Caliber 8 and 2019 Trek FX2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Someone has to say it -- your wife needs to pick her own bike. The more you are involved, the less she'll appreciate it long-term.

My wife loves her bike, after 2 years, gets ridden every weekend day, she even commuted a few times. Electra Ticino 20D Mixte, took months to find it. A Rivendell Cheviot was her runner up.

Obviously, she has good taste.
Very well said. I do think it is great that you are supporting her and doing research. With that being said, My wife bought a mountain bike last year and was never comfortable on it (Trek skye). This year she road it twice and said she was done with it. I let her calm down and asked what happened? She said it just wasn't comfortable. I asked her if she wanted to bring to our bike shop and make sure the seat was correctly adjusted and have her explain her discomforts. She replied with "nope I want a different bike. She never goes off the paved paths and not really sure why she wanted a mountain bike in the first place. After being together for 16 years I have learned to keep my opinions to my self sometimes.

She went to the shop and was set on a Trek FX as I have a Fx S4. She explained her discomforts and the sale guy pulled out a Trek Verve. She said oh but I wanted a FX. The guy spent a lot of time with her/us and explained she was still not going to be comfortable on a FX. He finally convinced her to at least test ride the verve. She road around there parking lot with a big smile in her face, she loved it. The guy said do you still want to ride the FX3? She said no but the sales guy said you will never know. She road it and came back and said "you were right" I will stay with the verve. At least he heard words I never hear lol.

The reason she was not comfortable on the sky was the geometry of the bike, the verve is more of a relaxed ride. Nothing to do with the Trek Skye being a bad bike, it was just not for my wife.

I suggest going to a bike shop and have her test ride ones she maybe looking at. I am lucky and have a great shop here. look up shops in your area and read reviews. Even if you don't buy new at least she will know what is comfortable and can look for a used one if you go used.

Last edited by muddyrock; 05-30-18 at 04:41 PM.