View Single Post
Old 06-11-18, 07:47 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I just rode on Rhode Island bike paths for the first time this weekend (rode down through Mass. from NH). RI has pedestrians walk on the left side of the MUP and bikes on the right side. It's the first time I've experienced this system and I've got to say I found it vastly superior to having both on the right side of the path. The pedestrians on my side of the path could see me coming and see what I was doing to avoid them. I didn't have to say "on your left" anywhere for 15+ miles and I never startled anyone or had them step out in front of me.

I'm new here, so excuse me if this has been discussed before, but are there other places that do it the RI way? Having seen it in action, and having had to cope with the chaos of bike paths in Mass., it just seems to me it ought to be the system everywhere.

Thoughts?
Here it's both and it's a mess. Personally, I walk on the left side of MUPs and road so I see what's coming toward me. I hate it (well, might be too strong a word but) when I have to walk on a sidewalk that goes the same direction as traffic.