View Single Post
Old 06-16-18, 03:39 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Definitely fixable. When I restarted racing I'd go into every corner trying to figure out how I could take it a little faster the next time. One thing I rediscovered that helped a lot when in the group was braking a bit earlier and then letting off the brakes, so it initially opened up a bike length gap or two, and then not hit the brakes again so I'd come into the corner a bit faster than the guy in front of me who would brake later, and then exiting the turn I'd be basically ride up into his slip stream. Our Wed. night series has a big 180 and that's what I do sometimes and it helps a lot.

The biggest hindrance for me is when I come up to a corner faster than the guy in front of me and have to scrub speed at the last second. Then the person in front of me is carrying more speed than I am out of the corner so a gap opens and I have to sprint to get back up to speed and on to the wheel. That gets tough to do repeatedly, so if that starts happening I try to find a new spot in the group or a better wheel or maybe start hitting an inside/outside line to go around people.
this this this

i like to think "slow while entering the corner, accelerate through the corner"