View Single Post
Old 06-30-18, 02:32 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Work has been a little chaotic for me and I’ve actually missed maybe three workouts in the past two weeks, which is completely unlike me. I just needed sleep on those crazy days. Fortunately though I’m done racing for the season so no harm done. It’s been nice to get out on the weekend and to lay down a little volume.

Last weekend a few of us rode a mini tour, 100 miles over two days. Day 1 was some remote riding, zero water, zero facilities on much of the route (spouses provided SAG) but a totally beautiful route. A couple of not very challenging mountain passes, high desert sage brush meadows, piney forests at the top of the passes, wildflowers galore. Day 2 we finished on the pier in Santa Barbara. Wine, lunch, and then the dog beach for the dogs. It was a great weekend.

Today I went out with a friend on a “gravel” ride on the mtb. It’s not really gravel but we rode an abandoned road called the Old Ridge Route. This used to be the main highway from LA to Bakersfield before the 5 freeway was built. Most of the road is gone nowadays but the part up in the mountains is still there, semi-maintained, in case of natural disaster. It’s mostly broken pavement, some dirt, some good pavement. But the huge appeal is that is just remote and quiet. Rare to see anyone else out there. Today was 30 miles and 3000 ft, just a perfect morning- great weather, great company, beautiful route, lively but not crushing pace.

Strength workout tomorrow then two days of work on the TT bike. Then 8 days of mountain biking in Utah with nothing on the schedule beyond “have fun”.