View Single Post
Old 07-01-18, 06:07 PM
stilllearning

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, it's been almost 2 years since I started this post, and a lot has changed, but I am still learning! I now have an 85/86 Centurion Ironman that I love. To help with hills, I replaced the 42 chainring with a 38. I wanted to put a 36 or 34, but that is the smallest that would fit the Biopace. I changed it from a 6 speed to a 7 speed with a Shimano 14-28 freewheel. I also purchased a Suntour V-GT Luxe derailleur since I was initially thinking of going with the Shimano 14-34 megarange, but decided to wait. Now, I am thinking that perhaps I should have gone with the Megarange.
I have been riding around Palos Verdes Peninsula in southern California, and just did Glendora Mountain Road/Glendora Ridge Road to Mt. Baldy village (I did not go on up to the ski lift). Palos Verdes I can handle okay, but the Mt. Baldy ride was pushing my limits.
I have reread everyone's responses, and I am going to list my options in the order that I think are the easiest and least expensive. But, easiest and least expensive do not always equal the best choice. I would like to know if I am in the ballpark of what you more knowledgeable people would do. However, I will be using my LBS for the labor and perhaps parts. They are great, and have been very helpful, so I don't mind paying a little more for some parts if necessary.
1. Put on a 7 speed Shimano 14-34 Megarange and use the Suntour V-GT Luxe derailleur I already own.
2. Put on 7 speed Suntour, IRD, or SunRace 13-32 - if I can find one that's not too expensive.
3. Change crankset (130 BCD) to a compact 50/36 or 50/34, keep freewheel 14-28. I have no idea what brand other than Shimano. Any recommendations?
4. Change to a compact crankset and also put in a 14-34 or 13-32 freewheel.
5. Change crankset to a triple, keep 14-28 freewheel.

I'm leaning toward #2 because I really don't like the way the Megarange looks, but I haven't seen any Suntours under $150. I don't mind spending a lot on a new crankset, but am hesitant to do so for a freewheel. That may not make sense, so any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Brian