View Single Post
Old 07-09-18, 08:46 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I think this should clean up very nicely. Hard to tell from the picture, but the dent in the front mudguard looks like it could be worked out. I've had good results by making my own form and punch out of pine. The biggest problem I have is trying to enlist my wife to hold the mudguard in place while hammer out dents. She doesn't care to spend her time on my bike stuff. Here's a good chance to try the toilet brush method on rims. I've never seen a Raleigh Sports with this shifter cable routing. Or these pedals either. Doesn't seem likely someone would change them. Wonder if the bike came this way.
I agree that the mudguard dent can be greatly improved with the wooden block method. More troubling is the chain guard dent that was likely mangled to prevent the crank hitting it. The tires (Raleigh Record), cables and housings all appear original. I have seen those pedals on a Nottingham Sprite(75) before. (Sprites were also built in Canada). The front wheel appears correct but the axle is longer than I would expect. I have not found the Serial# yet. I did not realize the "d" shaped mud guard stays were solid. I've always seen pressed or wire type?