View Single Post
Old 07-09-18, 10:50 AM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
If you are going to replace the 700C wheel with a 451, why didn't you instead choose a low racer.? Performer Cycles makes them too though I am not a fan of the 16" 305 wheel on the low racer model. There is a very limited selection of tires for the 305 wheel.
1. I did not want a 16 wheel for the reasons you mention. 2. I am intrigued by the FWD.

The other thing to consider is - what is the effect of changing the front wheel on handling? The frame geometry was designed with the larger wheel in mind and going to a 451 wheel may adversely affect handling.
Based on others' similar conversions (detailed on bentrrider), the smaller wheels spread out the wheelbase and make the handling more stable. It also adds more weight to the front, which is good for the FWD on hills.

The other thing that would put me off is that all of their bikes are OSS and I am a real fan of USS. First recumbent was a BikeE AT (with OSS) and the second one, a used 1997 Linear LWB had both (OSS installed and USS parts in a box. Quickly switched out the OSS parts and went to USS. My other bike, an Haluzak Horizon also has USS. Wouldn't have bought the Zak if it had OSS.
I tried a friend's USS, and did not care for it at all.