Old 07-24-18, 08:55 AM
bikiola
royal dutch of dukes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I generally ride tires with no puncture resistance. I don't get many flats, and when I get one, it's no big deal. It's not pleasant to change a tube on the road, but I get by. I'm thinking of getting pitlocks. I suppose it would help if I had a wrench I could use on the pitlock key for extra leverage.

I'm in NYC, also, specifically Manhattan. Glass isn't all that common on the streets, and I steer around it when I see it. Potholes and cobblestones are a problem only if your tires are under-inflated.
I currently ride Big Applies by Shwalbe (26 x 2.35 on my surly troll) and almost never get flats, until the tire degrades to nothing at which the flats start. Pitlocks are amazing and bring a total peace of mind but yes, you have to carry more equipment with you to change the tire, and on the way to work in heat or snow - and especially with godforsaken horizontal dropouts - they make changing flats a whole hell more annoying.

I guess I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on these but want to be sure. Noglider are you using these in the city?