Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I am always really frustrated in the summer dealing with sweat in my eyes. When you do research on cycling sweat management the vast majority of the discussion is about keeping forehead sweat out of your eyes. This simply is NOT my problem.

I generate significant amounts of sweat AROUND my eyes (in/around my eyebrows, the outside of my eye socket, etc). On a really bad day (here in NC) I can feel sweat "welling up" around my eyes inside of four minutes of the start of the ride. At minute 5 or 6 I have to start wiping. I find myself having to wipe my eyes almost continuously (maybe every 45 seconds). It is really a pain in the butt. I have to wear eyeglasses and it is hard to properly clear sweat away from my eyes without removing my eyeglasses (more than once a minute). It is enough to make you not want to ride.

What surprises me here is that I seem to be somewhat unique in that respect. Nobody talks about it. I was watching the Vuelta the other day - a replay of a really hot day. NOBODY wipes their eyes. It seems to me that not one of the 175 riders have my problem. So either this is self selection (guys like me but with pro level skills just don't compete) or my 'condition' is rare.

How many others have this specific issue? If you are not sure then YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

Thanks.

dave

ps. I am a heavy sweating type. On a really bad day - hard ride - I lose almost 4 pounds of water per hour (determined by a reasonably carefully run experiment a couple years ago).
I wear a headband and still get a lot of sweat in my eyes on really hot days, a lot of it is coming from my brows below the headband so it's similar to what you're describing. Not much you can do to alleviate this, other than wiping your eye with your fingers every now and then and/or spritzing some water on your face. It can definitely be annoying because it can get on the inside of my glasses and the salt in the sweat obviously can irritate your eyes.