Old 09-30-18, 10:59 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
What apps are you using? I'm mainly interested in one that only shows speed, HRM and cadence (and no cluttering of screen with distances or averages etc.). I found the Wahoo app to do that, but you need to start tracking to use it (I use Strava and Samsung Health separately).
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
What apps are you using? I'm mainly interested in one that only shows speed, HRM and cadence (and no cluttering of screen with distances or averages etc.). I found the Wahoo app to do that, but you need to start tracking to use it (I use Strava and Samsung Health separately).
Currently using Urban Biker & Strava. I use the Kinetic app for the Turbo Trainer. Kinetic works pretty good for the Turbo, I can throw it up on the monitor with chromecast and it will export to Strava. Urban Biker is mostly GPS driven and while I can connect to the trainer with UB and see speed and cadence it doesn't track distance without GPS. The reason I run Strava at the same time as UB is that it is an instant upload for the ride if I don't have time to upload my Urban Biker GPX file. Unfortunately you currently have to manually upload the GPX file with Urban Biker. One great thing about Urban Biker is that it has a "passive recording" mode where it will take the GPS data from another app that is already using GPS (In this case Strava) instead of going straight to the radio. So you save a bit of battery running in this mode.

I have gone through a dozen different apps for this and have found that Urban Biker has the best layout and has so many options for customization that it satisfies pretty much everything I need to see on a single screen. Its also a great looking user interface and has one touch to easily switch between layouts (Day/Night/Map Underlay)

Some of the apps I have tried that worked okay -
Wahoo Fitness - Simple but ugly layout
Cateye Cycling - Has a lot of data but like all cateye stuff its like a techno nerd put it together and isn't really a clean simple interface, not very customizable.
Bike Computer - Really sexy looking interface but did not have a whole lot of customization. I wanted a landscape orientation and at the time I was testing it that wasnt available as an option. They have some really neat safety features in this app though. I think all the good stuff costs $$ though.
Garmin Connect - More of a fitness app then cycling computer.

Most of the other apps seemed more like map or health apps rather than a cycling computer.

Here is a layout of the interface I use with Urban Biker -

Urban Biker Landscape Layout

Here are a couple shots of the bike mount with the phone case attached -

Slim lightweight stem mount for phone

Landscape Mount

Portrait Mount

Curious to see what others are using for phone mounts and software.

-Sean