canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Possibly, the early stages of, chronic compartment syndrome?
Fascinating. I'd never heard of that specific syndrome before, although I was aware of asthma caused by exertion -- that's the main reason I have albuterol inhalers, for occasional exertion asthma.

But my symptoms are the opposite of those described for chronic exertional compartment syndrome. Sounds a bit like fibromyalgia. Try discussing stuff like that with most doctors. You'll get the House routine about lupus. Remember the medical show House with Hugh Laurie? There was a long-running joke: "It's not lupus. It's never lupus." Except sometimes it was lupus.

Often I feel at my best after warming up, during and for an hour or so after a good workout (other than HIIT, which just hurts and ain't ever fun). Whatever the body and brain do during and immediately after a good workout -- endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, serotonin, etc. -- it's as effective for me as moderate opiates but with a mild stimulant kicker instead of opiate-type grogginess and lethargy. Pretty similar to a couple of cups of strong coffee.

The problem is the sensation of well being and reduced pain doesn't last. I'll wake up the next day feeling miserable, achy and groggy, almost like a hangover. And I quit drinking about three months ago, not because I drank too much -- I rarely drank more than one or two beers at a time, only a few times a week, about six beers a week. But because I didn't seem to be metabolizing alcohol properly anymore. Just one beer would cause hangover symptoms within an hour or two.

Every morning it can take me 2-3 hours just to begin to feel human again. So if I have any appointments or anything constructive to do that day I need to wake up hours earlier than usual just to be halfway prepared. Sometimes the rebound hits later while I'm still awake. That's annoying. I'm hoping getting the thyroid problem resolved will help.