Old 10-28-18, 02:17 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You sound very new at the fine art of arguing about why Shimano is or isn't better than Campy etc. It also sounds like you're focusing on just drive trains rather than the entire bike part ecosystem? Maybe not.

I also think you're conflating quality with cost and lightness. I've never had campy, so can't argue there, but if you're talking about road bikes, Shimano 105, ultegra and dura ace are all excellent with slight improvements in function & less weight as you get more expensive. Like... I think my ultegra drive train on one bike just "feels" a little better than the 105 on another bike, even though they both function very well. Same with SRAM - I've had Force and upgraded it to Red over the years, never had a problem. The operation is very different from Shimano and SRAM is fairly (in)famous for some quality issues back in the day (maybe still, I don't know) but I haven't had any serious issues other than a RD recall one year.
You don't have to go as high as Shimano 105 to get a quality part. However, I do think there's a consensus that Shimano 105 is the best balance between reliability (quality) and weight. Beyond that, the diminishing return curve slope levels off significantly.