Old 11-11-18, 05:16 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Captivante Berceau

I posted the “before” pics of my 1950’s Captivante berceau mixte on the French 3-speed thread, but thought it ought to be documented here. From the catalogs on French eBay and the Tonton forum, it appears to have been a widely-available brand before it was purchased by Jeunet in the 60s. I learned a lot overhauling this one. Who knew that “wicks” (look like clothesline) were used as rim tape? Horsehair wrapped around the bottom bracket spindle would suggest a rural past. The Simplex Rigidex 35 derailleur is adjusted using 21mm spanners to move the mechanism out and back along the central bolt. The old Pullman seat is super comfy with substantial leather. The bell must have been an add-on, since it has the Peugeot lion on it. (I’ll trade to a Pug fan for a different one of the same vintage.). Springs on the underside of the fenders hold the wiring in place for the lights. It has 2 small vinyl bags for the back rack that are a bit bright and cute for my taste, but they’ll be preserved. The paint was originally “Rouge Transparant” - transparent red. It’s worn and faded to a beautiful patina - almost tan in some spots. It’s surprisingly light - frame and fork are just short of 7 pounds. It’s a very pleasant ride with its 650-B 42mm tires, 46 tooth chainring and 16-22 3 speed freewheel. I can imagine a French farm woman taking this to market. I plan to continue this application as I suspect it will be an outstanding errand bike

Last edited by Honusms; 11-11-18 at 09:32 PM.
Likes For Honusms: