View Single Post
Old 12-03-18, 08:53 AM
Demosthene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar
I ride from 43rd to downtown on that trail. It is a good safe route. Much of it is lighted but not all. I only wear a jacket in the winter, not required. Whenever I am riding around cars I have front and tail lights. Main thing to be aware is to be safe crossing streets at crosswalks. Press the button and wait for the signal. Be on the look out for cars turning right across the crosswalks. The drivers are often only looking the other direction for coming traffic and wont see you until you are on their hood.

As far as gear goes the bike is up to you but I would avoid bikes with shocks due to carrying the extra weight. If you want to buy a bike go to West End on Blossom and tell them your budget and use and they will hook you up. At all costs avoid Target/Walmart bikes. They are not safe. You would be better off looking on Craigslist. I prefer panniers to carry my clothes and lunch. Back backs are too hot in the summer IMO.

Happy Trails.
Maybe I'll see you on the trail then.
Thanks for all the tips. I'll go to West End.

Question, as a bike commuter in Houston : Is your bike safe when properly locked on an open business lot campus with security ? There is 3 or 4 other bike sitting at work, which is nothing for the thousands persons working there. Bike rack is not behind closed doors but definitly inside the campus, and there is security touring the place.