View Single Post
Old 12-07-18, 12:10 PM
Mitkraft

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bravotwozero
I live in the clear lake area, which is in southeast houston, about 30 miles southeast of downtown. commute is 4 miles each way, mostly on designated bike lanes. I once had a deer run right along side me while commuting to work in the early morning. Was surreal. My ride is a raleigh cadent i8 with a 8 speed alfine internal hub, belt drive, shimano hydraulic disc brakes, and a carbon fork.
Nice Bike! I'm also in the Southeast part of town and commute a couple times a week. I try to do two round trips a week. Instead riding of home and back I drive in with my bike, computer & stuff, lunch for 2 days and clothes for the next day then I'll ride home, back the next morning, and shower at work. I ride from near the Pearland/Friendswood border into Clear Lake. It's a little over 12 miles each way. Here is my commuter rig in the back of my truck waiting to ride home:

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
A pedestrian got killed by hit-n-run car on 528 recently. I go by there on my way to work almost everyday. Unreal.
I know exactly where that was and I believe my mother-in-law drove by their shortly after the incident. She and my wife were both initially under the impression that it was a cyclist which renewed their fears about me riding on the roads.

Originally Posted by bravotwozero
i bike east of the 45 where its known as nasa road. plenty of cyclists there, haven't felt unsafe.
528/NASA Rd1 is a radically different story from one side of 45 to the other. East of 45 I ride it regularly and its mostly great. The bike lane is continuous (except for the bridge at Space Center to clear lake park where I take the sidewalk), well marked, and mostly observed. Much of that stretch is 30 mph which means traffic going about 40-45mph and even closer to Kemah where the limit goes up to 45 (and traffic goes up to 55) the drivers are generally decent. On the other side of 45 however, there is a decent, dangerous (IMHO) stretch with no bike lane from the freeway to Challenger (I think) where 6 lanes of cars are driving in a way I'm cautious to drive around much less cycle. Then the stretch from challenger to Bay Area does indeed have a bike lane however its a near free-for-all on speed since the limit is mostly 55mph with much of the traffic doing much more than that. I'm not personally comfortable in a 3 foot bike lane with no barrier between me and traffic doing 55-65mph.