Old 12-14-18, 03:23 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
In a race in hilly terrain where weight trumps aerodynamics, of two riders of equal excellent fitness and equal skill and equal rest and nutrition, as well as equal power output both sustained and in sprints, the one who is 3 pounds lighter would stand a stronger chance of coming in ahead by a nose, or maybe even a few lengths. And since we are keeping all other factors equal we have to assume equal rider stature and weight, so the three pounds is bike pounds. Even that is an oversimplification as it doesn't account for how the weight is carried; rims, frame, etc.

But this post is about recreational riding where unless the bike is built like a lead balloon the rider is probably going to experience the largest difference in his or her head. Sure it is fun to have a snappy and responsive bike, and perhaps oer the miles less tiring though fit and a forgiving ride may be more important. People do not generally prefer a touring bike for a quick ride in the gravel (though I'm sure there are some who enjoyably do). The best thing one can do is ride more and shed some unnecessary weight. At the same time strip off heavy but unneeded doo-dads from the bike. Keep it sensible and you'll have fun.

I try to keep my road bike light and my Quick CX acceptable. Seems to work out fine. I agree I've never failed to climb a hill that would have been possible if my bike were lighter.

Last edited by daoswald; 12-14-18 at 03:32 AM.