Old 01-12-19, 06:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7705 Post(s)
Liked 3,628 Times in 1,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Pulsify
The good: I feel like the reach is perfect. I don't feel scrunched up top. The distance between the saddle and bottom bracket feel good, as well. In my pictures it looks like the seat post is long as hell, but I think that is largely due to where the top tube meets the seat tube (strongly angled downward toward seat tube) -- it looks just like the picture Canyon advertises on their website. On the seat post, i'm at the 9.5cm hashmark, whereas the recommended max is 13cm. Also, I can stand over the top tube with a 1-2 inches of space to my crotch.

The bad: I feel like my body is 'low' to the ground when riding -- it kind of feels like my whole body should be higher off the ground than it is. I also feel my torso is a little far forward, and when out of the saddle my body weight seems to be fall ahead of the bars. Lastly, when at a stop light, I can just barely reach the tips of my toes to the ground (not a big deal). Minor toe overlap, but haven't felt it yet during a ride yet.
Between "The Bad" above and some of what what @Campag4life says it seems a Medium would be better for you.

You could dial in the same reach, you could run fewer spacers, and you could sit in a more comfortable position. Withe the Small, you are maxed out ---you cannot really get more upright. With the medium, you could sit a bit higher and otherwise have the same contact points, and still have the option of going longer and lower just by flipping the stem.

When a bike is set up properly for riding, you shouldn't be able to touch more than toe-tip to the ground---otherwise your toes would hit the ground when pedaling. But I doubt if seat height would change with the larger frame---the info doesn't list bottom-bracket height but I doubt it would change much, it at all. So long as your leg is the same length, proper seat height will be the same. That seems about right.

I tend to ride more upright than the pictures you posted---with my level of fitness, my flexibility, and my proportions I can ride better in a less "racy" position. Many of the images used to promote cycling lean towards imitating racing postures---and even I have to admit that a rider laid out long with a flat back looks good---but that only really works for racers, or people with that level of fitness and flexibility. Most riders can ride more efficiently with a more upright posture.

Personally, when i am riding more, I lower my bars, and raise them back up when I am not riding so much, to accommodate changing fitness and comfort levels. Getting low is aero-efficient, but is not necessarily more physically efficient.

Sorry for the digression. Based on the photos and your description, I'd say consider the Medium. It should provide a wider range of adjustment/fitment options, whereas the Small is already built up to be about as large as it can be and still feels a little too low.

Oh, and if I am wrong and you get the Medium and hate it and my bad advice ruined you r joy of cycling ... sorry. Caveat Emptor.