canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWhoCycling

Funny I see posters talking about having KOM's on Strava. No way will I ever get close to KOM's on our local climbs.

These are the top guys on our local climbs, more than 13,500 cyclists.
Fair point. There are no real mountains here and only a few semi-serious hills or long roller coasters with elevation gain despite the plateaus and downhill sections. Some serious Strava folk say no mountain, no KOM.

I can barely hold 300 watts for a few minutes on a climb. My rides would never register anywhere near the top ten in areas with lots of cyclists. We have a local pro team but those guys usually hide their Strava logs so they don't appear, otherwise they'd hold pretty much every KOM and top ten.

Most of what passes for KOMs locally are actually sprint zones, and some are labeled as such.

The only segments I pay attention to are at least a mile, preferably longer, especially some circuits where wind effects are negated or balanced out over time. I created several of my own, set to private. They're just for me to evaluate myself over time. But they aren't mountains and despite some climbs, most elevation is zeroed out.