View Single Post
Old 02-02-19, 11:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
No they don't, but they will interchange in a pinch. I would not use one on the other as a permanent installation. The sutherland manual used to have categories of fit. I would give this one a class 'c' fit myself. But the op obviously has the correct connector.
For several years I had one dynohub wheel with an SP, but used that one wheel on four different forks. I zip tied the wires to the forks so that I could easily move the wheel from one bike to another without having to re-wire anything, so I needed some extra connectors. I could not find a seller of SP connectors, but the Shimano connectors were easy to find, so I bought them instead.

Since then I have bought another SP and also some Shimano dynohub wheels, I have been using Shimano and SP connectors interchangeably on several bikes with both kinds of connectors, no problem. Other than one being all black and labeled as SP and the Shimano one is partly gray instead of black, I can't tell the difference.

In the photo I have an SP hub with a Shimano connector which is partly gray. (The photo is a bit busy, I have a Tubus Tara rack mounted on the fork.)