View Single Post
Old 02-28-19, 05:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7681 Post(s)
Liked 3,572 Times in 1,880 Posts
Are these all new bikes? Do they all fit you? Are you comfortable on all of them?

Because you do not specify, I have to guess at what bikes are up for consideration.

The ARD (https://www.rei.com/product/106341/c...es-ard-11-bike) has what is called “endurance” geometry. It is generally set up and built up to be more comfortable over longer rides, but a little less racy.

It all looks good. I am not familiar with the brakes, but REI is pretty well-respected and I wouldn’t expect them to sell crap. The wheels are generic, the tires heavy—but a lot of riders would probably gladly trade a little weight for the better flat protection.

I ride a similar bike, a Fuji Sportif. The ARD has a better fork than my Fuji, but lags in the brakes and drive train. Still, this is a solid road bike.

The Raleigh (https://www.raleighusa.com/merit-2) also looks good. Again, and endurance-geometry frame. I have the same brakes on my Fuji. However, the Raleigh has an all-alloy fork, blades and steerer, versus all-carbon for the ARD. The alloy fork might transmit a lot of annoying road buzz. Also, it might not. The Raleigh might be marginally heavier, but the difference is minuscule.

Joytech is a big Taiwan hub manufacturer … a lot of generic wheels might use them. Weinnmann traditionally makes quality rims, but I am sure they have their bargain lines. Still, the wheelset inspires more confidence than the REI set does … on paper. Tires … generic.

The Specialized Allez (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...=237236-154231) has a full-carbon fork, and rim brakes. The brakes (Tektro) are not my favorite, but a better front caliper can be had for about $30, and the Tektros will be fine anyway. Discs are fine but in my experience, mech discs are not a huge improvement over good rim brakes except in wet conditions.

I personally like the Toupe saddle, but every butt is different.
The wheels? Never heard of Axis Sport, but I assume they are sturdy, simple, generic wheels. Specialized doesn’t need to save a few pennies and risk its reputation with crap parts. The tires are generic, likely a little heavy with flat protection—which a lot of riders would probably prefer.

I notice the tires are a little skinnier. Without knowing the rim dimensions, I have to assume the bike rides a little harder than the other two … but only so very marginally so, one might never notice. Personally I would have opted for 28s for this style of bike. I wonder if the frame has clearance?

Also, the Allez (at least as pictured) has a Much more aggressive riding position than the other two. However … you could Probably just flip the stem and get a more relaxed riding position. From the picture, though … there is no more room for spacers. You’d need to consider that. You could still get a more relaxed riding position buy spending $15–$30 on a different stem—but factor that in.

None of the bikes except the Allez say which Claris---the old 2000 or the new 2300. To me, this might well be the deciding factor—but likely they all use 2000.

All three bikes come with square-taper, threaded bottom brackets. Excellent, as they all can be upgraded to Shimano Hollowtech later on.

It is quite possible that the REI and Raleigh frames were made in the same factory. Both are generic Al double-butted frames. Good stuff, not special. The Specialized has a fancier title but could be almost the same frame.

This is a tough choice.

Here is how I’d break it down: The Raleigh seems to have decent wheels, but for a few hundred I could throw a set of Vueltas on there and save probably a pound anyway … on down the road. The Raleigh has (probably) better brakes than the ARD but I’d bet it is marginal. I personally do not like the alloy fork. I might lean towards the ARD between the two, depending on how the brakes felt after several panic-stop tests.

The Allez, though … same deal with wheels. A cheap upgrade later. The brakes though … unless I lived in the Pacific Northwest or rode a lot in the rain, discs are not necessary—particularly mechanical discs (I got them on the Fuji because it was expressly my rain bike.)

I’d throw on an old Tiagra front caliper and be happy as heck (I have done that on two other bikes, and a 105 caliper on another…. Buy them cheap on EBay and dramatically improve the braking over the (IMO) flexy Tektros.)

The Allez has a full carbon fork, blades and steerer. It has a frame at least as good as any of the others. With a new stem, it should be a comfortable ride.

I would decide whether I needed disc brakes---Mechanical discs, so stopping power would likely be not any greater than good rim brakes (IMO my Ultegra rim brakes are better than the Spyre SLCs on my Fuji.)

Unless I rode a Lot in the rain, I’d go for the Allez, because it is a lot easier to upgrade rim brakes than discs. As for the rest, there isn’t much to decide between the three bikes.

To be absolutely honest … I’d say, buy whichever one you like better. The paint scheme and decals matter as much as any of the components on any of these bikes. Any of them will do about the same job about as well as any of the others.