Old 04-17-19, 08:16 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 971 Posts
WRT the police: It takes all kinds. I wouldn't expect a fair shake in any interaction regarding a minority population. (In this case a cyclist.) First & foremost it is their job to preserve order & the status quo of the majority. Of which "peace" is the standard state. It is not their job to be an advocate for the underserved. It's also not their job to be "nice." It is their job to be fair & impartial. We flavor this with words like: "duty" or "professionalism."

We don't want opinion or personal bias involved in a police officers decision tree.

WRT to the accident on scene. It's worth a look, but not necessarily involvement. A camera or particular detail might be worth mention if seen. Knowing that stopsign is regularly run might be worth mention for future enforcement efforts or to add to understanding.

I came across an accident once where a kid was tagged while in a crosswalk. I saw him picking himself up off the ground. So I made note of the car/driver description/age/race, license plate, etc... & drove home, grabbed a cycling lawyer advertisment & an umbrella for the rain. When I returned to the scene. The police had arrived, the victim & the perpetrator were still around. I had nothing to add, so the victim got an umbrella for his walk home, the lawyer advertisment & a confirmation from the pair of cops that from previous experience or reputation "that lawyer was a good one."

Really, any further involvement would've been inappropriate.

Last edited by base2; 04-17-19 at 10:22 AM.