Old 04-19-19, 07:59 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by JayNYC
We have cobblestones here in NYC (both new ones and old ones). I love riding gravel, but hate riding cobblestones. They're no fun w/ 40mm tires, I can't imagine trying to do them at speed on 25mm tires. I can totally see where "brutal" and "vicious" would be apt terms…
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I don't think I've ridden a gravel course yet that comes close to these descriptions from the Strava article. Sections of singletrack within a gravel course? Yes a couple times, but gravel road? I really can't think of anything that I would describe as that intense. Even if they were riding at pro race speeds the roads I'm familiar with just aren't rough enough to mimic the high speed oscillations that comes from the cobbles. 50km+ of cobbles and 200km of road seems to me to be harder than 200km of regular gravel roads.

Strada Bianche has quite a bit of gravel and a much lower overall winning speed historically, it seems to lack the reputation of Paris-Roubaix. Regardless, interesting to think about. Makes me want to look up the alley cross routes and see how many cobbles are left in Atlanta.
OK, this is what I'm after.

Team of rivals. Prove me wrong. Educate me.

So I could very well be wrong, or at a minimum, basing my assumptions on videos which don't really show things as they are.

I'd love to try the cobbles and see for myself. @JayNYC, I recall some cobbles in Queens NY and walked down a cobblestone street downtown in Manhattan last Christmas. Your real world experience is appreciated.

Next we can talk about whether the pros are crashing on purpose to make it look hard.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-19-19 at 08:03 AM.