View Single Post
Old 05-04-19, 10:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Hey, BTW, in the spirit of the memorable words of the Blues Brothers, "We're putting the Band back together," would anyone be interested in a 50++ ride this summer, e.g. in Boston or elsewhere?
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I'm up for one, just point me in the right direction please.

Bill
Hi Bill,

The concept of a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride began with the first in 2009 prompted by @DnvrFox and a gathering of 50+ cyclists in Colorado to ride various routes. @tsl suggested Watkins Glen for a second one. IMO that boosted the idea for subsequent Rides. Watkins Glen was an organized weekend event held at a campground, so we were all together to socialize and ride supported routes.

Subsequently, a Fifty-Plus subscriber would start a thread, and various others would make their suggestions for geographically varied events. Usually one site emerged as the One. Many more subscribers expressed interest than eventually showed up.

Furthermore, we all stayed at different locations by our own arrangements, but tried to meet up socially before or after the Ride, all as described in Chronicles of the Annual 50+ Rides (link). The one at Raystown Lake PA, 2015 though was similar to Watkins Glen, a weekend event with lodging at a defined site.

Perhaps later this year I, or someone else may get the ball rolling on the Fifty-Plus Forum as described above. IMO an Organized Ride, sponsored by a local cycling organization is the sine qua non for such a Ride, providing the definition, logistical support, and assumption of liability.

For myself, I have traveled hundreds of miles to a few of the Annual Rides, so I am always glad to call for one here in New England at least, especially Metro Boston. One event this year that comes to mind, on Sunday September 15, suitable for a wide range of cycling abilities is the 15th Annual Hub on Wheels.

Friday and Saturday would be suitable for visiting Boston and socializing.
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated. I would highly recommend a visit to Boston to anyone. What a beautiful city--and if you are lucky enough to have someone as conscientious, thoughtful, and generous as Jim from Boston guiding you through that trip, you'll have it made!

We were able to see some really interesting things in Boston, and Boston has a great deal to offer. We were only there for the weekend, but I wish we had had more time to see the city.
Originally Posted by irwin7638
…I don't want to be redundant since Jim and Diane provided such great details, but Jim was an exceptionally gracious host and the Kentons were a real pleasure to ride and "hang" with.

I loved Bahstahn a bunch, one cannot really call it a college town, it is the college town and consequently has become very bike friendly. I was really impressed with the bike infrastructure developed in the town and the overall safety of the city.
Originally Posted by TheMister
I want to thank Jim for a most enjoyable tour of Boston and vicinity! Miss Kenton and I had a blast!...
Originally Posted by missjean
It was so nice to meet Jim, Diane and her husband! A big thank you to you Jim for organizing, being tour guide and your generous hospitality.
Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston). Arrived Friday afternoon and we took off for a ride around the city...

Jim is quite the tour leader. Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history. We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian, and ending Sunday evening at a Thai restaurant. All-in-all it was a great weekend...
I often tout Boston as the epitome of LCF/LCL in America, not to brag, but illustrate the possibilities
My own personal rewards:
…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:

• the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
... All my visitors have a great time here. Not to brag, but e.g…

I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking tours [or bikes], and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, all the ones which made it out alive ...
Besides meeting these E-acquaintances face-to-face, it is also much fun to meet them as residents of Bike Forums and especially Fifty Plus. None of my own personal circle know much of the Forums whereas those attending the Annual Rides are now face-to-face acquaintances and also know the other personalities on the Forums.

So we now as face-to-face friends could chat about those other subscribers and their personalities as we perceive the personae they project on the Forums, making you all more “real” than I alone would imagine.

I found these conversations that we five had about our neighbors in Fifty-Plus particularly interesting in light of the recent contentious and now-closed threads about Face to Face vs Internet Forum Communications.
Remember Marc [@irwin7638 ], what happens in Boston, stays in Boston.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-04-19 at 12:56 PM.