Old 05-09-19, 03:52 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf
I totally disagree with the assessment that children and older PPL wear helmets all of the time. It messes with children's balance, neck muscles etc and cause injuries simply because their neck muscles are not designed for the extra weight. Also their brains get hot with the added insulation because the body uses the head as a radiator to keep cool. Mothers who try this, should themselves be put in a rubber room, for the safety of their children...

I feel naked without my helmet, especially when riding my road bike as it is capable of going quite fast. However honestly the only thing I have ever hurt on my motorcycle and bike was my hands, so I always wear gloves. Period.
He was being facetious. (His chart is credible BTW). I took it to mean, if you accept the reasoning that it's necessary for any rational person to wear a helmet whenever cycling, because of the danger of TBI, then it follows that the the elderly and small children who are at great risk should be taking even more precautions.

You're absolutely right though, and beyond that the straps on a helmet are a serious choking risk for small children in a playground. Seriously, parents should never put those on kids unless they are kept under vigilant supervision.