Old 05-22-19, 10:29 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
It's not clear to me if you are looking to fit tires to a specific bike? If so, that might be relevant info. Suggesting 26" tires on a 700c bike won't be helpful. Suggesting 2.5" tires on a bike that maxes out at 45mm won't be helpful.

I agree with others that I like the ETs for that kind of riding. I've happily ridden them on pavement and off road, but the tread is pretty mild for any really challenging off-road situation, but that's the compromise you make. Really good off-road tires will be buzzy and slow on pavement, so you make the compromises. But like some others, my ETs didn't last as long as I'd like.

ETs come in a 700 x 40-something, I think. Don't have any experience with those, but they might be worth a look if that's your size. I put some Nano's on my wife's 700c bike before we rode the GAP from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. She thought I was ruining her relatively fast bike by chunking up the tires, but after the trip was done, she would not take them off. Says she's done with the "skinny" 30-something tires they replaced.

I think the idea that wider = slower has been disproven, but wider does equal heavier in most cases, and that can slow you down a bit, but on a loaded touring bike, the weight difference might be negligible. If you have the bike, I'd look at the max width you can fit, and then start looking for an evenly compromised tread pattern in that general area. If you're looking for a bike, I'd start looking at some "plus" style bikepacking or gravel bikes that can comfortably fit the ETs, or can go a little wider or narrower without a problem.