Old 05-24-19, 04:23 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Finding the "right" saddle is a very personal, and subjective thing, IMHO. I was always uncomfortable on the Turbos and Avocet copies back in the day, but as a casual rider I could put up with some minor discomfort. A few years back I bought an expensive Specialized model that got high praise, but still wasn't quite right. Later I bought a Secteur road bike, which came with the Riva model saddle. It was kismet! The Riva - Specialized's cheapest saddle - was made for my rear end. I bought several for my different bikes, but not enough, as the Riva was discontinued, of course, before I could equip my entire fleet. Sometimes they pop up on fleaBay.

Find a bike shop that has demo saddles to try out. Also ask if they have a "sit kit" to help measure your sit bones' width. That helped me determine I need at least 140mm width across the wings/rear of the saddle. I'm thinking about getting a used Brooks Professional for the Raleigh Pro, to keep it period correct. Have no experience with them, however.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports