Old 05-29-19, 05:11 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by nuxx
That is a trippy/unique and very personal build - really appreciate the nonconformist attitude in building the bike for yourself, and not to satisfy opinionated forumites. That gearshift placement is glorious!
Thank you nuxx. This was my fourth thoroughly thought out and purpose driven build (the purpose is dry commuting). Its my most evolved one actually. the ergonomics is 100% perfect and everything works 100% and its very practical/fast to swap out stuff/service if needed. Everything comes off as whole "modules", its very easy/fast to try a different brake/RD and so on. And then swap back to the old one... its basically 3-4 zipties and then its off. and then 3-4 new ones and then its on again no matter what.

I knew from the start this build would not really appeal to real roadies. hehehe. But for me its the ultimate commuter italian lugged steel build (for my region/locale). So I built it no regrets there. its a seriously bad ass ride. fast and comfortable.

You know just as well as me how this works. You see a "need" and you "fill the hole". Done! You get it done your way...

Regarding the shifter. I use one of those v-brake bungs, from jagwire. it has one end that is alu, and that end will break off easily, its maybe 1cm long, so easy to break that you basically cant run a setup like this before it separating from the stainless bent tube with regular use actually.

So what you have to do is to simply bend it off/remove it from the stainless bent tube from the start! Tear the alu part off. Its very easy to bend it off the SS tube. Then when you only have the SS tube you simply put one of those cable-housing ends (that you get in all cable kits) as a termination for the tube (into the shifter) and then bam, then its 100% solid as a rock and will never ever break.

---------------

I have a new project going. Maybe now on friday i will recieve a De Rosa Nouvo classico frame. that i will build up over the weekend if possible. It has chromed lugs
This will be a budget build. and effectively my dry commuter beater

I will post it in this thread.