View Single Post
Old 05-29-19, 07:44 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Getting my hands dirty in the basement today, as I had a little home-alone time.

I couldn't get the brake pads not to rub on the wide tires on the M500, so I swapped 'em with the 1 1/4" tires from my wife's trek. All good now, and I plan to give that one a test ride this week, even though its mission has pretty much evaporated. I was building it as a weight-loss bike, for when I was well over 350 lbs. 250 now, and comfortable enough with riding my other bikes now. Still, I built it, and I'm gonna ride it some. Probably use it for the downtown casual rides.
Also, new brake pads.

Jake is my project now, and a little more involved, but still not too bad. I took good care of this bike over the nearly 40,000 miles we have together.
The st5500 105 brifters are gummed up. I'll give 'em a flush this weekend to see if that works, but that's only out of curiosity, as I've ordered a set of Dura Ace bar-ends, which will go on once they arrive. Also ordered some Tektro levers. I'll replace the hideous cow-pattern bar tape then, too.
The rear wheel is in great shape, built by one of the Erics at Chainwheel in Little Rock. Front rim was a bit worn, so I swapped it with my LHT's stock front (that bike has a Clyde wheelset right now), which looks close enough to matching that most won't even notice.
For the time being, I have a set of 35c Panaracer Paselas on Jake.
Brake pads on this bike, too, but I'll probably upgrade them with Kool Stops once he's otherwise dialed in.