View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 02:56 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 99 Posts
Just a short update on the status.

The frame arrived and I brought it to the LBS for a try out with a used 105 50/34T crank. The chainring was near touching the chainstay, while there were no issues with the crank arms clearing.

So I have to go for a smaller chainring, but I did not want to go under 42T if I could, to get the high gears for road rides.
I came up with a SRAM Apex brifter and X9 rear/crank combination, but unfortunately, the SRAM distro here does not carry such "less common" items.
So back to the drawing board....

Next, I thought of just paying up and getting the Force 1x with the 42T crankset and 10-42T cassette.
Again, another disappointment from the local distro.
They just don't have such 'weird' combos since 'real users' only use Red...
I'd have to order now and get them in August.

The SRAM clampdown on online retailers frustrates me since the local distro is basically sitting on their laurels and unwilling to provide a good range of Sram products while finding them online and willing to ship to Singapore is so hard.

Ended up, not willing to let the distro earn my money for such poor support and found an online store I could buy from.
Got the Rival 1x instead which was my preferred budgetary choice anyway and saved me a fair bit over Force 1x.

I just hope everything fits when they arrive.
My preliminary measurements do indicate that the 42T chainring should just clear the chainstay into the recessed portion of the chainstay.