View Single Post
Old 06-11-19, 06:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7681 Post(s)
Liked 3,572 Times in 1,880 Posts
Originally Posted by bcpriess
Someone mentioned beach cruisers. *If* you live in a pretty flat place, you can totally get by with a cheap single speed beach cruiser. The bonus is they have relaxed seating positions, higher volume tires, and because they're single speed you won't have to worry about cheap shifting parts failing or causing unintentional damage to the drive train through bad shifting.
And (though I myself wouldn't probably get a big thrill) they do get new riders out on the road, experiencing cycling.

The thought is the same with me suggesting the rigid 1x7 Hotshot---get something simple and cheap and Try cycling. Learn about riding, balancing, braking, turning .... feel the soreness after a good ride. See the sights and sweat a little and just be out on a bike, and see if you really like it ... or if you really do it.

It is easy to have a couple good rides and still not find time for the next one. it is also possible that the passion will grab a person, and that person will find hi/herself looking forward to the next time s/he can ride.

It is better (IMO) to get into the sport./activity for $200 and then sell the bikes for half price if they haven't been ridden more than about three times in six months, than to spend $1000 and do the same. And if the $200 bikes spark a passion, one can recoup half the investment and go shop for better machinery, knowing that it will be a worthwhile investment.

Shoot, pick up a pair of $25 yard-sale bikes so long as the tires hold air. Just get out on the road, for cheap, and see if you feel like doing it more and more.

Or ... whatever. We are all here because we found we liked cycling, and I am pretty sure we all came here via different roads.

I think we have offered plenty of options for the OP ...