View Single Post
Old 06-18-19, 10:36 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4309 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Today I spent 3 hours trying to load the old Garmin eTrex Legend HCx with Open StreetMaps which turns out to be quite complicated & not really worth the bother.
For the Edges, it's not complicated. It's selecting a region, downloading a file, then copying that file to the unit. The first time might be a bit more work figuring it out.

Some of the older units can only handle one file name. So, you have to rename the map file installed on the unit.

... 200 waypoint capacity. I'm not sure how important the waypoint limitation is...but from what I read it can be a factor especially for pre-progammed routes. I think there are workarounds but why have that extra hassle? ...
It's "course points" (not waypoints) thas the 200 limit. It's not an issue unless you have really long (like 300 miles) or very complicated routes. You would generally have much shorter routes. Course points are optional anyway.

The limit for waypoints (locations you can navigate to) is like 1000.

I haven't ever hit either limit.

Power banks can give enough capacity for a week-long tour but ~$50-$100 more & some added weight too. With ETrex 32x, one can tote appropriate # of batteries for the trip & if necessary buy extra at any gas station.
If gas stations are an option, there's a reasonable chance that you'd have access to electricity every few days. You probably wouldn't need a large power bank and you can use that for the phone you are probably carrying anyway. "Batteries for the trip" would be "added weight" too.

The Etrex is a reasonable choice but the Edges are not the problem you are imagining.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-18-19 at 10:58 PM.