View Single Post
Old 07-05-19, 09:05 PM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I rode the Firecracker metric century in Raleigh. I consistently ride 3 times a week but I haven't ridden in a metric for several years. I had no intentions of riding this year as I have participated in the ride several times in the past and although 100K is not such a long distance, it has always been punishing due to the heat and humidity. And yesterday it was oppressive! Also, I rarely ride more than 40 miles at one time.

A friend who is a really, really strong rider asked me if I would ride with him and I hesitantly agreed on the condition he ride a 17ish pace and do most of the pulling for obvious reasons. So I registered yesterday only to find out afterwards my partner was sick and wouldn't make it. I decided to ride anyway - I paid $45 after all.

The first rest stop was 20 miles out and I latched onto a paceline so we made it in one hour. I took a 20 minute break but couldn't find a group so I was on my own until the next rest stop at about mile 40 but I felt fine. Again I rested for 20 minutes. At about mile 45, I noticed my energy level had dropped a lot and I suffered up to the last rest stop at mile 50. I rested for at least 1/2 hour - my legs were weak and my neck was paining probably because the muscles weren't used to being used for that long of a period of time.

Most of the final miles were in the sun and although the hills were small, they were punishing. After missing a turn that cost me an extra 2 miles, I made it to the finish line. I think this ride matches the pain level I experienced in some of the mountain rides I did in the past. I'm not good in heat and humidity and yesterday was intense.

I can't say it was a good experience and even though I finished, I overly punished my body in the process which is counter productive health wise. I always stress my body to a point because without pain there is no gain as the saying goes but I wish I would have been wiser and rode the 50K. Didn't mean to write a book, but telling my wife, who doesn't cycle and can't relate, wasn't satisfying enough. I feel better now
Likes For Carbonated: