kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
And what are those ways? I gave a reasoned argument, ad you counter it with a simple negation.

To paraphrase Monty Python, an argument is more than a simple contradiction.

And can you show me anyone who's gone from riding a regular bike to an ebike that 1) gained fitness, and 2) went back to riding a road bike. Simple logic tells you that the ebike rider is getting less of a workout than on a non assisted bike. Otherwise, there would be no reason for the electrical assist.

As to riding a Tandem, how is that in anyway "giving up" I would contend that riding a tandem well takes more effort and skill than riding a single bike given the need for teamwork and coordination.

And as it relates to losing or maintaining fitness, I've been able to do almost all my training miles on a tandem, and still race successfully as a Cat 3. I seriously doubt anyone does almost all their training on an ebike and then races a regular bike.
My wife can't keep up with me on her single, so we ride a tandem sometimes to be able to ride together. I also considered ebikes to achieve the same thing since she doesn't really like the tandem, but it turns out most ebikes can't keep up with me either. If they have the speed they don't have the range or vice-versa. Just because I don't have a need for an ebike doesn't mean nobody does. There are plenty of things other people buy that I wouldn't. I drive a Prius, and you drive a Porche. What difference does it make? I don't think less or more of you because your car has a bigger motor, same as I don't think less or more of you because you are faster or slower than me on a bike. Anything's better than sitting on the couch watching tv.
Likes For kingston: