Old 08-02-19, 06:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11093 Post(s)
Liked 7,685 Times in 4,280 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
some gravel is more dangerous than paved roads. Blind hills, blind corners, Patrolled less, so people tend to speed more. Given the locality and the people that live off the beaten path. they tend to have a disconnect from society. Or come across as lawless. They'd be the first people to throw a beer bottle or an old oil filter at a cyclist just because.

For the moment I'll avoid the inner city, and some of the remote gravel roads... for more or less the exact same reasons.
I can understand how some gravel could be perceived as more dangerous because its traveled less, so if a rider needs medical attention, the response will be slower compared to on a paved road. But luckily everywhere I have ridden so far has drivers who dont speed on gravel since its wildly unsafe for them due to instability. Where I ride, vehicle speed is usually quite reasonable on gravel since traction is lower. It could be the composition of local gravel- its looser here or something like that, so drivers adjust accordingly.
Also I am really happy I have never come across a driver that was rude/dangerous. It would be very disheartening to restrict where I ride based on the fear of having stuff thrown at me.