Old 08-10-19, 03:57 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
Is this seriously legit and OK to do?? After all the things I have heard about being careful contaminating your rotors and all the things that can go wrong with them...seriously just take sand paper and go against the grain?? Seems wrong without ever doing it, but I actually have a bike I can try this on. I am in similar spot...changed pads multiple times, clean rotors neurotically, and the squeak always comes back. I didn't even know what to do or think anymore about it and just learned to live with it looking forward to a different system one day. This is the only other thing I can try before new rotors and I wasn't going to spend the money on new rotors to find out if that will fix it.

From the article:

Is there? Should we/I know?
Despite me doing this, as seeker mentions, there are potential hazards to this, and possible oversanding or uneven sanding making the rotors too thin could be bad--I can only broadly describe what I did, and certainly dont have a thickness "before and after" number, and now that Ive done it, I cant even show a before and after photo.
Also, one persons "light gentle sanding" may be a really hard pressured sanding to a mechanic who has done this before, I really dont have the reference, so I did what I thought was very little--but maybe Im all wrong on this.
All I know is that the screeching stopped.

do read up on how to properly bed in new pads, or pads that have been sanded, and or rotors that have been cleaned etc. My understanding is that this is very important to getting everything to work properly.

re asbestos, this is referring to the pads, and the sanding is very minimal, but as the fellow states, use common sense and dont blow the stuff around and breath it in.