Old 08-13-19, 08:56 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
thanks,
I do get not recommending something that could lead to a dangerous situation, and erring on the side of caution is always best.

When I think of what I did, I used a very fine metal sandpaper (not sure what number), probably emery cloth, and I really did do very, very light and very little sanding. The rotor trueness wasnt affected, but as you say, I really need to go to a store where they have a digital caliper and really find out how the thickness is.
It will be interesting to compare the rear and front rotor, and I also have a spare rotor I need to dig out and compare it also.

thanks for the thickness references, and yes that is interesting that the new one is 1.88 and the 2000 mile older one is 1.95

I'll try to get this bike to a store , or ask around to neighbours for a digital caliper, and I'll post the results.

Oh--one other question, I would imagine organic pads are a lot more friendly to rotors than metallic? Ive only had metallic or semi metallic, Im not really sure what mine are, and the spares I have and put in last year look the same as the originals.

anyway, again, thanks for the tips and info.
I doubted that but did a quick search & indeed, the consensus seems to be that organic pads give less rotor wear. While some folks have horror stories about organic pads wearing out very quickly, my SwissStop pads lasted about a year though mileage was not esp high.