View Single Post
Old 08-17-19, 04:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Got out on the Trucker DeLuxe for what was in effect a do-over of the ride to Boston that got rained out last week. The destination was Castle Island via a roundabout route that took me down the Cambridge side of the Charles on the way there, across the locks, through bits of the North End and the Rose Kennedy Greenway and on through the Seaport District and South Boston; the return was via the South Station neighborhood, Chinatown, Downtown Crossing, the Common, Beacon Street, the Esplanade and on up the Charles on the Boston side, crossing back to Cambridge on the foot bridge…

One of the reasons I picked Castle Island as a destination was to see if the no-bikes policy was still in effect. I didn't test the enforcement of that, but will ask around a bit. I was last there in the early 70's, on a Raleigh 3-speed, and it was a lovely place to ride at the time.

It's also a gateway to points further South, so perhaps I'll be back regardless. In any event, the lobster roll from Sullivan's easily justified the pedaling.

rod
Nice travelogue, @RHolland, of my “stomping grounds." I was not aware of a “no-bikes policy." FYA, my last visit there was memorable, via your stomping grounds.
Originally Posted by jppe
August 14, 2016-First day of epic 3400 mile cross country ride from Florence, OR to Boston, MA over 41 days (plus 2 days off the bike)
JimfromBoston provided an incredible guide across Boston to the Atlantic the last day.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
CODA

It was one of my most pleasant cycling days in 40 years of cycling, to ride with jppe, and to direct his wife in the van to various locations and ultimately the Atlantic Ocean. We met at about 9:30 AM at the Wayland Depot, about 20 miles from the Atlantic Coast and we hit it off immediately…

We mapped out a route to include a few historic sites that Jeri could meet us at by car. We stopped at the Walter Gropius home, a national historic architectural landmark; rode by Walden Pond; and lingered at the old North Bridge in Concord, site of the Battle of Concord on the first day of the Revolutionary War. The day was as perfect as the pictures portray.…

We next rode to Bedford, and took the 11 mile Minuteman Bikepath to Arlington. We could ride two abreast, and I had a chance to hear all the details of his ride. As did many respondents to his threads, I already knew of the virtually day-by-day details, and I asked pretty specific questions about the activities…

We took a side jaunt to the Lexington Green, site of the skirmish that preceded the Battle of Concord, and then then rode through Arlington into Cambridge and meandered around Harvard Square…

His description of the ride was spot on, though in referring to the Charles River as “Dirty River” the actual term is “Dirty Water” as in the 1960’s song by the Standells, “Love That Dirty Water.” It’s a virtual Bostonian anthem, played at all the Red Sox home games:

The picture of the END ROUTE 20 sign was taken about two blocks from our condo in Kenmore Square. Again jp was so gracious to visit my shop and tell his story, one block further down, and closer to the ocean. We then headed straight though downtown for Castle Island on Boston Harbor

right away a group of three young ladies gathered around admiring [his dog who was on the trip with wife driving the sag wagon], ignoring the guy in the superhero costume. I had to tell them that the dog had just come across the country from Oregon, and oh yeah...with the guy in the red suit on a bicycle.

I told jp, “Well this far, and no farther.”(a favorite line from an episode of Columbo), and we took the end-of-ride pictures.

We then had a celebratory dinner at a fine Boston seafood restaurant (Legal Seafood Harborside). We re-hashed our respective cross-country trips, including the current one with Jeri’s point of view. While jp was away from the table, I asked her how she liked the trip…I had a blast.”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...The end-of-ride pictures were taken behind Fort Independence on the Harbor side, and the picture of the dog with the girls near Sullivan's.

The night before I had asked a friend from South Boston where to eat al fresco, since I would have my bike with me, and added, "...but not Sullivan's...," not with any prejudice, but I wanted to take them to a real nice place.

While en route to Boston I recalled we would be near the Seaport District, and we went to Legal Seafood Harborside. ...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-17-19 at 05:06 AM.