Thread: Endurance Bike
View Single Post
Old 08-17-19, 07:33 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
My point is from the personal experience the bug will bite harder and sooner if the bike you start riding put a smile on your face every time you mount it. Light and quick bike is just more fun to ride than a sluggish bike.

Comfort at this level is irrelevant. Both bikes will not be comfortable at this point since both have drop bars. Your body would need time to adjust to the drop bar position and road riding.

People always put comfort and riding a bike in the same sentence. Why? It is comfortable just to sit on the couch and watch TV. If a handlebar seems too low for a new rider (and after riding a hybrid it probably is ) have it set up higher . But the race bike with a higher stem will still handle differently that an endurance bike.

On my endurance bike I can not set up the stem low enough, because the head tube is too tall. I even swapped the headset with less stack and use -17 deg.stem. But on my race geometry bike I can raise the stem or put a stem extender if need be.

For me comfort on a bike means riding for days without pain, especially in the upper body. To do that the bike should fit correctly, does not matter if it is a race or endurance bike. What I m saying that a race bike is more fun to ride fast than an endurance bike. Both should fit correctly. As mentioned above I did not take in consideration torso/leg ratio though.

Last edited by Andrey; 08-17-19 at 08:23 AM.