86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorrister
Good point. I have been perusing the classifieds as well, but honestly since I’ve already got an old ten speed with friction shifters and a 5 speed freewheel, part of this is because I want a new toy with brifters and an 8 speed cassette and all that fancy stuff. What about building something out? I’ve always liked working on my bike so that could be a fun project as well
I mean you can get close to new with the newest gadgets. Last year, I bought a 2016 Trek Boone 9 cross bike. Ultegra grupo, hydraulic disc, tubeless, full carbon for $1000 shipped. Just needed a rear derailleur and didn't necessarily need new tires, but chose to anyway. Deals are out there. I'm sure there are horror stories as well, but be patient. If it doesn't look right don't do it. Same as buying cars. I've never bought a new car, and have always saved money. Know what you're looking for and be smart.

Yes you could definitely build you bike if you wanted to piece by component. Overall it might be more expensive, but you can buy parts as your budget allows. And allows you to build exactly what you want.