View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 01:28 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorrister
We have similar proportions. I’m 5’9” with a 30” inseam and wide shoulders. I have average length arms hanging below mid thigh/above knee. I was thinking a 54 might be the way to go (although some models jump from 53 to 56) because I figure a cm of compensation can be achieved through seat height and bar angle/height on a smaller bike, but not on a bike that’s too big.
yes buying a slightly to small bike is better than buying a to large of a bike.
7 or 8 years ago i bought a BD winsor knight bike. i liked the bike and at the end of the season i actually sold it for what i paid for it. i sold it because i got a nice deal on a 08 specialized roubaix.
you might spend a lot of time searching for a good used bike. placing a wanted ad can help also. you can get the best deals when you actually don't need a bike. i got extremely lucky and have a friend of a friend of a friend ask me about a bike they were selling. it was a 2014 specialized roubaix expert with DI2 shifting and disc brakes. i bought the bike for $1700, it had a set of zip CFtubular wheels on it. sold the wheels for $1200 and bought a set of Vuelta disc wheels to replace for $200. a few other mods and maintenance items and i have $1000 in it. there are deals out there you need to look for them and having cash on hand helps also.