View Single Post
Old 08-23-19, 05:53 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i've exhausted my brain remeasuring, but i'm consistently getting 302mm for the front and non drive of the rear and 301mm for the drive side. at this point, i'm having trouble deciding the better way to go; shorter or longer. if i went 302 all around, then 1mm of any protrusion into the rim tape can be filed. this would also allow me to just use 12mm nipples all around. but, will i run out of adjustable threads on the drive side as spokes stretch over time? i'm reading that side is more prone to it.

with either 301 or 302, i'm finding SS/DB spokes for the $40-$50 budget i've been trying to stick with in the amounts i actually need (72) with a few extra to keep around for potential repair.

would someone mind weighing in?

as an afterthought, i've mentioned these rims have no nipple ferrule. would it be a good idea to use something as reinforcement, if there is such a thing....like a washer/spacer? i realize this would affect the spoke length choice

edit: nevermind about washers

Last edited by thook; 08-23-19 at 08:01 PM.