View Single Post
Old 08-26-19, 05:05 PM
SpecK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
glad it is working relatively well fit wise now.
Now as for fitness and wanting to do a 100km ride, thats a big step from shorter rides, and regular riding every day or so really is the best way to gradually work into it, and figure out small little changes of position, and to gradually increase the distances ridden.

do look into some bike stores for padded bike shorts, they make a diff.
You may have never worn some before, they should fit snug, not loose, but obviously not too tight.
Prudish folks may baulk, but so you know, you dont wear underwear under them. The whole idea of the fit and the chamois padding is to reduce friction, so no undies as it just bunches up and or just rubs and makes friction.
Im not making this stuff up, cyclists dont wear underwear under padded bike shorts.

be realistic about doing 100kms, I mean in 5 days its "next month" so you might find it pretty hard and or not have the bike seat etc dialed in, seat height also.
Good luck whatever you do, but just ride, ride young man! (ya, you didnt say if you are 60 and overweight and never exercise, or 45 and pretty fit....not that it matters to us, but will be a factor to how gradually you should work into longer rides etc)
Thanks, I will look into getting some bike shorts!

As for my 100km goal: I have been working myself up to do longer distances. I started doing rides in the 10 mile range and then kept adding distance little by little. My local loop that I try to do several times a week is 15 miles, but my weekend rides have gotten longer and longer. I did my first 50 mile ride last weekend with my old handlebar setup and my biggest issue was a sore neck, which I feel has been alleviated by my higher bars. I am not quite 40 yet, I used to be at least in decent shape, but then life stuff happened and I gained a few pounds from being sedentary. I am down 40 pounds so far and no longer obese. I still have a little ways to go, but I am feeling pretty good. While I certainly feel it after a 40-50 mile ride, I still feel I have energy to do more as long as I'm relative comfortable and pace myself right, so i feel adding another 12 miles is within reach. I would like to do this in September or early October and hopefully take advantage of some nice fall bike weather, but I won't push myself if I don't feel up to it.