Old 08-29-19, 05:40 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
In curiosity I just ran a 52 and a 50 into the bikecalc.com site and got the following from 90 to 100rpm and it's a whole 1.4 mph difference. At 35mph.

A lot of A riders locally that I know that run mids and full size setups are absolute freaking pedal mashers. Their default spin has to be maybe 80rpm. If you can't be bothered to hold a cadence, sure, folks may need that.

I spin 90's mostly. 100+ for hard efforts and such. I can do just fine on a compact. I find not having to swap in-out of the big ring all the time to be nice when riding hills around town. I bet in a 52 or larger I'd probably have to constantly get in and out of the big ring. We've a lot of 2min hills here. That would suck.

If you own Di2 though, who cares about having to swap in/out. It'll do it for you. That changes things. Mechanical? Certainly compact for 90% of riders.
Or get bigger quads...haha! The dream of all cyclists. 90-100 RPM is high though. I try to stay around 70 on flat & 80-90 when climbing hills (100 when the hill is almost a wall lol). Of course, the lower the cadence, the more energy is required to pedal.