Old 09-01-19, 03:42 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,107 Posts
The hurricane must have USPS spooked, because all my Monday deliveries arrived today, which included the Shimano Nexus anti-rotation washers for this hub. I also went to one of the LBS'es and got some rim strip:

Spreading the frame in the stand without the BB spindle out of it was a pain in the butt, but it is happily at 135 from an ambiguous and questionably centered 113. The seatstays look funky, but the brake bridge is centered and the frame passes the alignment test. I'll fine-tune the stays for looks later.

I initially tried using my Park dropout alignment tools, but one of them wouldn't tighten down on the narrow Raleigh dropouts, believe it or not. I found it easier to eyeball the 135 by using my Campagnolo 120/126mm alignment tools. Despite this limitation, I've been finding more and more that they've been proving themselves superior to the Park alignment tools every time I pit one against the other.

I installed the wheel, but like the picture in my initial post, it didn't fill the rear fender correctly (and also rubbed the stays at the back). This is partially a manufacturing problem: Raleigh ditched the tubular brake bridge they'd used for 50 years on these for a kickstand plate on these post-1977 (Or is it post '78? Don't remember for sure) models, but they jammed the same old tubular brake bridge fender clip onto these kickstand plates.

I took out a link of chain, and the wheel pulled forward quite a bit. Though it looks better in the pictures, the hub is at the tip of the dropouts - and the wheel also looks a touch too far forward now. I've got to get a half link to get this positioned right.

On the plus side, there were no major issues installing this after respacing the frame to 135mm. It took a hell of a lot of effort to grind and file the Shimano Nexus washers to fit the SRAM axles though. What a pain.

I also took a gamble on some downtube cable clips from eBay. The seller claimed were 1", not 1-1/8", but they appeared 1-1/8" in the photos. Given that they were offset to the bottom for a single cable, I took a chance. I was right. They look good too and are fine looking alternatives to the usual cable stop.

I will probably substitute the SRAM 4mm shifter cable housing with 5mm housing for a tighter fit in these clamps.

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Just order a B+M Secula Plus taillight. They are relatively cheap if you order through one of the German webshops like bike24.com

Also superior in visibility.
It is a bit on the ugly side, but not much more than the Lime's light - and the over-voltage protection is a big plus. Pity that it is not long enough to cover both screw holes - unless, of course, it happens to align better on the upper hole rather than the lower one.

I usually don't drill holes in frames, but I may make an exception on this one. A hole at the bottom bracket and an unobtrusive one under the headlug for internal wiring shouldn't be too bad. Better than putting a hole in the steerer tube and stem (!)

-Kurt